MoreRSS

site iconNL Times -Top StoriesModify

The NL Times is an Amsterdam-based publisher delivering the latest English-language news updates from the Netherlands.
Please copy the RSS to your reader, or quickly subscribe to:

Inoreader Feedly Follow Feedbin Local Reader

Rss preview of Blog of NL Times -Top Stories

Tens of thousands of Formula 1 fans flood Zandvoort ahead of Dutch Grand Prix

2025-08-31 16:45:00

Tens of thousands of Formula 1 fans poured into Zandvoort early Sunday morning for the Dutch Grand Prix, set to be run in the afternoon at the seaside circuit.

Supporters dressed in Red Bull Racing shirts and caps, showing their backing for Max Verstappen, dominated the crowd, while McLaren fans were also strongly represented. The British team drew particular attention after Australian driver Oscar Piastri secured pole position during Saturday’s qualifying session.

At Haarlem station, the flow of fans was already heavy, according to an ANP reporter. Trains departed every five minutes for Zandvoort, temporarily renamed the “Max Express” by Dutch Railways for the race weekend. On information screens, the trains were marked with a race car icon.

At Zandvoort station, banners welcomed visitors with the message “Prettige race, prettige reis” — “Enjoy the race, enjoy the trip.” An NS employee greeted arrivals and cautioned them to stay alert for pickpockets near the circuit, telling travelers, “Watch your belongings carefully!”

The day was expected to stay dry in the coastal town. Around 8:30 a.m., the sun began to break through.

Along the streets leading to the circuit, many residents decorated their gardens and houses with black-and-white finish flags. Some set up stalls on the sidewalks to sell coffee, tea, and soft drinks, while children offered handmade Formula 1 souvenirs.

Across from the track, a balcony displayed both a Dutch and an Australian flag, symbolizing support for local favorite Verstappen and pole-sitter Piastri.

Man in Rotterdam killed in attack by two American bully XL dogs inside his home

2025-08-31 16:15:00

A man died in Rotterdam after being mauled by two dogs inside his home, police said Sunday. Officers shot at one of the animals to reach the victim, but attempts to resuscitate him failed.

Both dogs, identified as American bully XLs, were later put down in the garden, according to police. The animals attacked the man when he tried to separate them during a fight, his daughter told AD.

“They were wild, fighting dogs he tried to pull apart,” she said. The dogs were about nine months old. One belonged to the man himself, while the other was his granddaughter’s, she added.

The daughter described her father as widely loved in his community. “He was a very kind father. A man who got along with everyone. When my mother passed away, the entire street looked after him. That says a lot about how cherished he was here.”

The police said in a statement on X that they were unable to provide details beyond what was shared late Saturday night and do not expect to release additional information soon.

The American bully XL breed was placed on the Netherlands’ official list of high-risk dogs in 2017. In recent years, the United Kingdom introduced strict rules for ownership and breeding of the dogs following several fatal biting incidents.

Man, 74, arrested in Nijmegen after exposing himself to girls near Helmond school

2025-08-31 15:45:00

Police on Saturday arrested a 74-year-old man from Nijmegen who is suspected of exposing his genitals to two young children earlier this week near a primary school in Helmond, AD reports.

The incident happened Wednesday afternoon near basisschool ’t Hout, in a play area next to the school. According to school director Maarten Jacobs, the man approached children from groups 3 and 4 in the playground and asked them if they could show him the way.

He then allegedly exposed his genitals to two young girls. The children ran away immediately, and their parents called the police.

Officers launched an investigation the same day. Police reviewed security camera footage, which led them to the suspect in Nijmegen.

On Saturday afternoon, the man was arrested at his home. His house was searched, and several items were seized.

One dead, one injured after cars and truck collide on N35 in Mariënheem

2025-08-30 16:45:00

A 33-year-old man from Zwolle was killed Friday night in a major traffic accident on the N35 near Mariënheem in the municipality of Raalte, police in Overijssel said. The crash, which reportedly occurred on the Nijverdalseweg near the railway, involved two passenger cars and a truck.

The man was the driver of a passenger car. According to de Gelderlander, another person was taken to the hospital with injuries that have not yet been specified.

After the collision, one of the cars was heavily damaged and ended up in a roadside ditch, while debris from the vehicles covered the road.

Several fire brigades and ambulances responded to the scene, and an emergency trauma helicopter was also deployed, police confirmed. Forensic Traffic Investigation detectives are examining how the accident occurred.

Because of the location of the crash near the tracks, train service between Zwolle and Almelo was suspended for the safety of emergency crews. According to Dutch Railways (NS), trains could not operate on the route until about 1:45 a.m.

Person killed as house fire destroys home in ’s-Heerenhoek, spreads to barn

2025-08-30 16:15:00

A person was killed overnight in a house fire in ’s-Heerenhoek, Zuid-Beveland, authorities confirmed.

The blaze broke out during the night, and photos from the scene showed flames shooting from the roof, according to NOS. The house was completely destroyed, and the fire spread to a nearby barn.

Fire crews fought the blaze from inside the building in an attempt to bring it under control. The cause of the fire has not yet been determined.

Emergency services closed the nearby provincial road because of the fire, officials said. The victim’s identity has not been released.

Family holds private funeral for girl stabbed while biking home from Amsterdam

2025-08-30 15:45:00

Family and friends gathered Friday to say goodbye to 17-year-old Lisa from Abcoude, who was killed in a violent attack in last week, according to a statement released on behalf of her relatives.

“With love we said goodbye to Lisa today, surrounded by our loved ones. Over the past days we have felt carried by the many warm words and gestures of support. We hope to have the space and privacy to continue mourning Lisa’s loss in peace,” her parents said in the statement.

Lisa was killed during the night from Tuesday to Wednesday last week while cycling home from the center of Amsterdam to Abcoude. The following Thursday, police arrested a 22-year-old man in connection with the case.

Her death sparked grief and outrage across the Netherlands. A crowdfunding campaign for women’s safety raised more than half a million euros. Several buildings in major cities were lit up with orange messages, and during the Ajax–Heracles Almelo soccer match, fans held a round of applause to show support for Lisa’s relatives.